[OpenAFS-devel] AFS-NSS-Module?

Todd Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:22:32 -0400

Tobias,

If you're determined to put an nss interface onto the ptserver, you might start
by looking at http://tarna.oit.unc.edu/~utoddl/ and grabbing nss_pts_0.2.tgz.
It only implements getpwuid(), but you could add other relevant getXXX()
functions if you want them. It works on Linux and Solaris. Don't know about
other platforms.

You might also want to consider another approach. While you're there, grab
propup.tar.gz. Propup is a pam module that you can put first in your pam stack.
It always returns true, but has the side effect of checking to see if the user
who's trying to log in is already in the /etc/passwd file. If not, it checks
for the existence of that user in a file in AFS. (We keep a file that looks
very like an /etc/passwd file in our cell that has everybody in it. That file
is called [...]/prop/users, hence the name of the module. Obviously you could
change it to look directly at, say, ptserver, maybe using code from
nss_pts_0.2, if you didn't want to maintain such a file.) If the user is there
but not in /etc/passwd, it adds their info to the local /etc/passwd file, then
runs pwconv. In any case, it returns true to the pam stack. This way your users
get automatically added to your system as they try to login the first time.

These are both quick and dirty hacks, but they work well for me. By all means,
feel free to enhance and/or repair them to your heart's content.

Happy computing,
--
Todd_Lewis@unc.edu