[OpenAFS-devel] afs user library on Palmos??

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:16:03 -0400

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 14:01 -0400, Jim Rees wrote:
> I did give this some thought a few years back.  The original Palm/OS on the
> Dragonball processor had segmented memory, with the segments only 64KB, or
> maybe it was 32KB.  It didn't have a real file system, didn't have
> preemptive scheduling or even multiprocessing.  So the existing OpenAFS
> client wouldn't be much use for a port.
>
> Things have changed since then and maybe it could be done now.

You'd want PalmOS 6, which isn't really deployed anywhere yet.  I
suspect Arla would be a better starting point, but even that would be
pretty shackled by pre-6.0 limitations.  (Like, you can do some
background stuff in 5.x, but a mail client I use regularly trashes the
network stack and crashes my Treo --- not bugs in the client, just no
real support for multitasking in PalmOS 5 so pretty much anything you do
in the background is risky.)

--
brandon s. allbery   [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]      allbery@kf8nh.com
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu