[OpenAFS-devel] License conflict on 1.4.1, Linux 2.6.16 with Xen

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:07:36 -0400

On Tuesday, April 25, 2006 08:29:44 PM -0700 Russ Allbery
<rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Sometimes, when
> this is pointed out to them, they care enough about OpenAFS to provide the
> hooks that we need; sometimes they just point and laugh and life sucks for
> us more.

Since as far as I know OpenAFS has no direct references to those symbols,
it seems likely that some header has a reference on a GPL-only symbol,
which causes existing non-GPL code to break when built against a
Xen-modified kernel.  I would consider that a bug in Xen, and I'm under the
impression that Linus prefers for existing interfaces not to break in this
way, so perhaps lkml would even agree with me.

In any case, it might be productive in this case to ask the Xen folks to
take a look at this.  It might even help to tell them this is preventing
you from using OpenAFS with Xen; I know they've heard of us, and they might
even care...

-- Jeff