[OpenAFS-devel] Odd Behavior with 1.4.2fc3

Jason McCormick jasonmc@cert.org
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:15:09 -0400

I'm running into two odd problems with 1.4.2fc3 that occur only on
1.4.2fc3.  Both hosts are Fedora 5 with the latest kernel.  When running
1.4.1 neither of the problems exist.  As soon as 1.4.2fc3 is installed,
both failures begin.

The first problem is nsgmls is unable to read an XML file from AFS.  It
behaves as if the file is 0 length.  The file is able to be viewed with
less or cat and the contents are correct.  And md5sum yields the same
value as a 1.4.1 host.  strace doesn't reveal any problems so it's
something specifically with reading the contents of the file because the
open() operation succeeds without error.  This behavior is 100%
repeatable.  I've taken a box running FC5 w/ OpenAFS 1.4.1, run my
tests, immediately upgraded to 1.4.2fc3 and experienced the problems.

The second problem is an intermittent problem with CVS repositories
stored in AFS.  This has worked fine since time immemorial but with
1.4.2fc3 I get periodic problems with repository locks.  CVS reports
that it can't write the lock file but then accepts the transaction just
fine.

I've attempted to find a root cause of both of these problems and have
failed.

--
Jason McCormick <jasonmc@cert.org>
CERT Infrastructure Group