[OpenAFS] [1.2.7] Strange file server meltdown

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 20:16:57 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Rainer Toebbicke wrote:

> else which looks dangerous:
>
> the 'h_Hold_r(host)' macro uses an index into a bitmap to 'hold' the host on a
> per thread basis. That index is obtained through pthread_getspecific(). Most
> of the threads in the fileserver (all threads created by rxi_XXXX) have a non
> zero index here.

i think ibm releases both before and after openafs was forked didn't use a
per-thread set of bits, but instead a simple counter. it's caused problems
before, perhaps we should be switching back to the simple counter

> A few haven't (the index would thus be zero), and two of them actually go
> through the hosts table:
>
> 1. The HostCheckLWP 5-minute-timebomb.
> 2. the FSYNC_askfs server in vol/fssync.c when breaking callbacks
>
> Top suspects for next week but perhaps somebody already knows better?

if i get a few moments i'll go over it.