[OpenAFS] PHP and AFS?

Daniel Clark/Cambridge/IBM daniel_clark@us.ibm.com
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 00:12:09 -0500

> > It's not at all clear to me what you're asking.  Presumably PHP can
call
> > external programs, so you can acquire credentials and then run pts,
vos,
> > etc. to do whatever you want.  But that's too simple, so that must not
be
> > what you're asking about.

> I think the question was along the lines of a question I've had for a
> while:  Are there any API's for administering AFS from a scripting
> language?  For instance, there are some nice object-oriented API's in
Perl
> and PHP which make it easy to design web-based interfaces for
manipulating
> an LDAP server.  Clearly, it's possible to use these scripting languages
> call external AFS programs, but manually parsing the output of all of the
> different AFS programs is likely to become tedious.

One possibility would be to use the Java API for AFS [1] with the scripting
language's facilities for integrating with the Java Virtual Machine. PHP
seems to have a Java Extension [2]. For Python there's Jython [3], Java
Python Extension (JPE) [4], or Minotaur [5]. There are also several
scripting languages for the Java Virtual Machine other than Jython [6].

[1] http://grand.central.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/JavaAPI
[2] http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/php/2001/06/14/php_jav.html
[3] http://www.jython.org
[4] http://jpe.sourceforge.net/