[OpenAFS] Backup using Tape Library

Steve Devine sdevine@msu.edu
01 Oct 2002 09:45:34 -0400

A reply to my own question so I can offer a summary.

Ok here is what I did to use Library Pro on Solaris 8 (Thanks to Lester
Barrows and FBO for the tip on mtx)
	download and install mtx from sourceforge.
	edit /kernel/drv/sgen.conf as such :
        device-type-config-list="changer";
	uncomment every line like this one:
        name="sgen" class="scsi"  ..... ;
	then boot -r
	give correct group permissions to /dev/changer or 	(/dev/scsi/changer )
so the backup user can read the
	changer device
	Set up tape coordinator as described in CFG_devine_name man page
	Here I spent some wasted time trying to set it up to use the 	changer
device, rather than /dev/rmt/Xc. The only time I
	had to reference the changer was in the script called by
	CFG_device_name. I used the mtx next command to swap tapes as 	needed.
There is much more it can do I am sure. The idea of
	bar codes is interesting.

Thanks again to all who responded.
/sd

All