[OpenAFS] limited number of files per volume?

Todd_DeSantis@transarc.com Todd_DeSantis@transarc.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:20:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hi -

> Is there a limited number of files that can be stored in a single
> volume?

No, there is not a limit to the number of files in a volume as far as
I can remember.  However, there is a limit to the number of files that
can be placed in any one directory.  Depending on the size of
filenames, the limit is 65K files.  And as the length of the file
names increases over a set number, the number of files slots available
will also decrease.

The directory structure contains 64K slots.
filenames under 16 chars occupy 1 slot.
filenames between 16 and 32 chars occupy 2 slots
filenames between 33 and 48 chars occupy 3 slots, and on

> I have a cell setup on Linux RedHat 7.2, AFS 1.2.6.  On one volume I
> have plenty of space left in both the volume and the partition, but
> can't put anymore files in.  There are currently 63209 files in the
> volume.

> Did I reach a limit?  If so, is there a way to change the limit?

The limit is within the directory itself.

Thanks

Todd DeSantis
AFS Support