[OpenAFS] OpenAFS and Samba 3.0

Andrew Leahy aleahy@knox.edu
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:41:11 -0500

Hello,

I've been looking into OpenAFS recently, and one of my concerns about
adopting OpenAFS is the requirement I have of providing seemless access to
home directories from people on Windows systems.  I've looked at the
available options at

http://grand.central.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/SMBtoAFS

and it should be possible to provide this using the 'Samba --with-pam
option'.  However, I was looking at the release notes for the beta version
of Samba 3.0 and they list as a new feature that "Samba 3.0 is now able to
to join a ADS realm as a member server and authenticate users using
LDAP/Kerberos."  I'm wondering:  Will this provide away to set up a SMBtoAFS
gateway without sending plain text passwords over the network?

Thanks.

Andrew Leahy