[OpenAFS] Linux kernel 2.6 & AFS

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:06:15 -0600

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 04:42:53PM -0500, Jim Rees wrote:
>   No. Arla, Coda and OpenAFS all use the same interfaces at least, already,
>   so it's just a question of what nfsv4 is doing, or does.
>
> NFSv4 does not yet have pags.  When it does, we'd like to use whatever
> OpenAFS uses for managing them.  It would be nice to have something cleaner
> than the current "magic grouplist" to keep track of them.
>
> It would also be nice if linux, bsd, and everyone else could agree on a
> common interface, and on common semantics.  This turns out to be kind of a
> big job, which is one reason we haven't taken a stab at this yet.

Let's limit the problem to linux, for now, and Kerberos V5 (probably via
some GSSAPI scheme). Yes, this ignores the issues with other OS'es, but it
does give us something to start from.

The kernel developers have stated they won't take patches to 2.6 *only*
for AFS. So let's make sure they know that NFSv4 also wants to use this.

I would like to see someone post a PAG patch for both AFS and NFSv4 to
the linux-kernel mailing list. I think the kernel developers will have a
bit easier time accepting it if the NFSv4 also uses it.

I for one would like the 'tokens' command to show me both AFS and NFSv4
tokens. I don't care how, only that it works. Linux kernel developers
only want to support 1 API for accomplishing this. So let's give them
the API and figure out how to get it included.