[OpenAFS] Questions, vol 1.

Noel Burton-Krahn noel@bkbox.com
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:24:36 -0800

Hi Stephen,

Hang in there, I remember facing the same pain setting up and understanding
OpenAFS.  I also remember the same reasons for going there: we needed a
distributed file system and AFS beats NFS, Samba, and Coda.  You still have
a bunch of pain to go through I think, but once you're done, I think you'll
find this is the way networks should be.

Our setup is OpenAFS, KerberosV, LDAP, on Debian.  Everyone has an OpenAFS
home directory where their mail, calendar, and web space is, and their home
is available on Windows or Linux clients.  Life is pretty good.  On the
other hand, OpenAFS has its quirks, and its Windows integration is not as
smooth as Samba.

First, about your tokens.  Are you running KerberosV + OpenAFS?  I recommend
it.  Last year I found that none of the stock pam_afs, pam_openafs, or
pam_krb5 modules ever succeeded in getting AFS tokens.  I ended up using
pam_krb5 to get Kerberos tickets and pam_run to run 'aklog' to get AFS
tokens.  I have since heard claims that pam_krb5 on sourceforge
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/pam-krb5/) works.  I found "strace" very
useful in debugging pam logins.

I don't use USS, I wrote my own scripts because user accounts have to exist
in Krb5, LDAP and OpenAFS.

Treat the files in your /vicepX partitions as totally opaque and don't touch
them.  Yes, you have to use the OpenAFS utilities for backups.  The docs say
that the partitions must be named /vicepX.

--Noel