[OpenAFS] Placing an AFS server behind a NAT

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:19:22 -0400

On Thursday, June 10, 2004 15:45:09 -0700 Lester Barrows
<barrows@email.arc.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Perhaps my setup is a bit unusual, as the NAT
> subnet has  two other AFS servers already connected to it, both of which
> are multihomed  on an externally visible network. One of these other
> servers runs the VLDB  service, and while both IP addresses are being
> advertised, accessing the  "public" IP address for the new server doesn't
> seem to work. Even on the new  server, it's not possible to execute e.g.
> a "vos listvol <external IP  address>" command. Using the internal
> "private" IP does work, but volumes on  this server are not visible
> externally. The static NAT on the router appears  to be fine. Perhaps
> this exact configuration is not possible?

OK; for the moment, let's set aside any issues related to accessing the new
server from inside the NAT, regardless of which address you're using.  We
want to concentrate on what happens when you try to access that server
using its public address from the public network.

- Does it respond to 'rxdebug <server> 7000 -version' ?
- Does it respond to something like vos listvol?
If not, what error do you get?

If you get a timeout/"communications error", then the next step is to run a
network analyzer like tcpdump or ethereal on the inside network, and see if
the packets are making it through the NAT, and what it's doing to them.
Then look at whether the responses are making it back...

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer