[OpenAFS] /sbin/mountall question

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 15:33:40 -0600

Paul Mitchell <pmitchel@email.unc.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>   Now that we're through the install part of openAFS, I'm working on
> the /sbin/mountall updates. The documentation suggests:
>
> Edit the file so that all AFS and UFS partitions are checked in
> parallel.

My binaries are the namei fileserver, not the inode one.  You only need
to mess with the "afs" filesystem type for the inode fileserver.  So,
you can probably just leave /sbin/mountall as-is.  And you probably
don't need to mess with copying the afs fsck binary either.

Also, DO NOT set your vice partitions to the "afs" type.  You should
leave them as ufs, (or try out zfs) and you can even keep logging turned
on.  The namei fileserver shouldn't hose anything (the inode one WILL
however.)

Note that I believe the Solaris binaries on openafs.org are indeed
inode.  These are not compatible with the namei partition type and
attempting to use them on maei partitions will result in much badness.

<<CDC
--
Christopher D. Clausen
ACM@UIUC SysAdmin