[OpenAFS] File ownership/permissions semantics

Bill Stivers stiversb@ucsc.edu
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:36:17 -0800

When we moved from Transarc AFS to OpenAFS default permissions
semantics and behavior seem to have changed.  When this took place,
one of our other SAs here researched and found some references in
Google to a permissions semantics change, but wasn't able to find any
details.  The problem in brief:

On our Transarc servers, the creator/owner of a directory seems to
have an implicit "a" permission to that directory, but on our OpenAFS
servers, that doesn't seem to be the case.  Some of our local scripts
and procedures depend on that implicit "a" permission for security
purposes.

Did we miss a compile-time or configuration switch in either client,
or server, or is this a more fundamental semantics change in the
OpenAFS fileserver itself?

---
Bill Stivers
IC Unix Lab and Systems Administrator