[OpenAFS] A hearty thanks to all OpenAFS developers -- especially Jeff, Derrick & crew

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:57:58 -0500

Hi All,

I just wanted to give a heart-felt thanks to Jeff, Derrick, and all the
other people who contribute to OpenAFS.

At work, I had an experience with a vendor that makes me really
appreciate the level of service that the OpenAFS crew provides...

A vendor just brushed me off because I'm having problems and on a
non-supported Linux distribution, RHEL5.  They want me to downgrade to
RHEL4, which is supported. Hello?! RHEL5 has been out for a year! Don't
you realize that I'm essentially giving you free help to make your
product work on the next version of the OS?! What the frak did we pay
support for?

This is the second vendor of an engineering application that has brushed
me off.  I was lenient with the first because RHEL5 had only been out a
couple of months, and they did actually try to help, but they were stuck
waiting on one of THEIR vendors!

This episode made me appreciate when Derrick was working frantically to
have a working OpenAFS client out to support Mac OS 10.5 on the release
date.

I know I complain and give you guys grief sometimes, but I just wanted
to thank you.

I know of at least two software vendors that could learn better customer
service from the OpenAFS crew.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Sincerely,
Jason