[OpenAFS] kernel panic with "fs mkmount": was: afsd core dumps

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
12 May 2003 17:23:56 -0400

Richard Jones <openafs-info@jonze.com> writes:

> > > That's done it. Thanks!
> > >
> > > Now I have trouble doing anything in /afs, for example:
> > >
> > > # fs setacl /afs system:anyuser rl
> > > fs:'/afs/jonze.com': Operation timed out
> >
> > Do you have the right DB servers configured in your
> > /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB file?  Assuming the server is on the same
> > machine, are you sure the server is up and running before your client
> > starts?
>
> Thanks (again), Derek, that was the problem. It is confusing with the
> documentation listing /usr/vice and /usr/afs when my binaries are
> installed in /usr/local/openafs.

Well, /usr/vice and /usr/afs are the "Transarc Paths" -- all the
documentation is written that way.  The server has one set of
configurations (in /usr/afs) and the client has another set
(/usr/vice).  If you don't --enable-transarc-paths, then the paths are
changed but the fact remains that you have two sets of configs.

> Right, sorry to have to ask the list again, but now I have encountered
> what I think might be a real problem:
>
> When executing any "fs mkmount" command, I get a kernel panic. The
> output follows. Can anyone help, or should this go to freebsd-ports list
> instead?

What arguments did you give afsd?  Is there any way to get a stack
trace?

-derek