[OpenAFS] vserver & openafs module

Sven Oehme oehmes@de.ibm.com
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:56:54 +0200

--=_alternative 0036A2E1C1257093_=

Then somebody needs to write a patch for openafs or contribute some money
that anybody else does it
that's the way it works  :-)

Sven

JEBs <JEBs@shbe.org>
Sent by: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org
10/07/05 11:48 AM

Christos Triantafyllidis <ctria@physics.auth.gr>
cc
Sven Oehme/Germany/IBM@IBMDE, openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject
Re: [OpenAFS] vserver & openafs module

Heyho,

Christos Triantafyllidis wrote:

> Sven Oehme wrote:
>

>> XEN works with afs ...
>>  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/downloads.html
>>
>> Sven
>>
>     From what i read XEN starts a second kernel under the host
> machine. Vserver kernel patches use the kernel you have for the host
> maching as kernel for the guest systems. That makes the overhead as
> low as it can be.

Yeeees, that was the reason why I tried it with vserver.
Getting the functionality of 'chbind' i.e. with UML, win4lin or vmware
would be no problem, BUT only by the cost of much CPU performance !
That's why I really like the idea of vserver !

>     I'm also interested in use of openafs in vserver kernel and i can
> try any experiment that may be required (kernel patches, openafs
> patches etc...).

I would be happy about it ;-) .

Kind regards

   JEBs

--=_alternative 0036A2E1C1257093_=

for openafs or contribute some money that anybody else does it</font>
Sven<br>
&lt;ctria@physics.auth.gr&gt;</font>
openafs-info@openafs.org</font>
openafs module</font></table>
Christos Triantafyllidis wrote:<br>
&gt; Sven Oehme wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; XEN works with afs ... <br>
&gt;&gt; &nbsp;http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/downloads.html<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Sven<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; From what i read XEN starts a second kernel under the
host <br>
&gt; machine. Vserver kernel patches use the kernel you have for the host
&gt; maching as kernel for the guest systems. That makes the overhead as
&gt; low as it can be.<br>
Yeeees, that was the reason why I tried it with vserver.<br>
Getting the functionality of 'chbind' i.e. with UML, win4lin or vmware
would be no problem, BUT only by the cost of much CPU performance !<br>
That's why I really like the idea of vserver !<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; I'm also interested in use of openafs in vserver kernel
and i can <br>
&gt; try any experiment that may be required (kernel patches, openafs <br>
&gt; patches etc...).<br>
I would be happy about it ;-) .<br>
Kind regards<br>
 &nbsp; JEBs<br>