[OpenAFS] TSM and AFS

Timothy G. Flynn tgflynn@stny.rr.com
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 20:41:40 -0400

Russ Allbery wrote:

>Tony Derry <aderry@umd.edu> writes:
>

>>Is anyone using Tivoli Storage Manager with AFS filesystems?
>>

>Yes.  We're using it so that we can get per-file backups and restores of
>AFS.  It works reasonably well, and we've not noticed significant slowness
>problems apart from occasionally some difficulties with the AIX AFS
>client.
>
>Unfortunately, TSM is dropping support for AFS, and we're currently having
>to copy the appropriate binaries from older versions of TSM.  We're trying
>to put pressure on IBM to reverse this decision; if they don't, we may
>have to move to another backup system.

  Are you using TSM as a backend for the AFS backup system or
are you using the normal TSM client to backup filesystems under /afs ?

  Since you mention per-file backups I assumed you were doing the later.
But if that is the case why do you need any special support from TSM ?
Wouldn't /afs look like any other filesystem to the TSM client (assuming
the client process is running with an AFS token) ?

Thanks,
Tim Flynn