[OpenAFS] Multihomed issues

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 00:27:08 -0500

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Jaap Winius <jwinius@umrk.nl> wrote:
> Quoting Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com>:
>
>> are both addresses reachable internally?
>
> Yes.
>
>> can't do it, alas. if both are reachable, list only the outside,
>> everywhere. otherwise, list only the inside, inside.
>
> That's what I thought. Yet, AFS keeps finding and using its internal IP
> address.
>
>> then you don't (shouldn't) need the f line.
>
> Right.
>
>> if the outside addresses can talk to each other, NetRestrict away the
>> internal addresses.
>
> They can, so I've been NetRestrict'ing away the internal addresses, but that
> doesn't seem to work. As I was saying, I think that's because of DNS.

DNS won't override NetRestrict as far as what the (file)server
registers with the VLDB.

Indeed, the fileserver doesn't really care about DNS at all.

> Another way I might fix this is to start over and then always use an IP
> address when referring to the local server.
>
> Oh, that probably won't do the trick either. Besides putting the external
> address in NetInfo and the internal one in NetRestrict, I probably need to
> make sure that each server's name always refers to its external address,
> both internally and externally. I do something simple, like make up some new
> names for the AFS servers with which to achieve this.

ok. well, the thing that would be interesting to know is what is
getting registered with the VLDB. if you enable vlserver logging, you
should get messages of one sort or another depending what operation
happens (new, replace, conflict)

--
Derrick